Thanksgiving is full of challenges for the health-conscious among us. What can we do to fight back against the “normal” weight gain of 1-2 pounds in one day?
Here are my top 5 tips for a healthier holiday:
1. Go for a run in the morning.
…Or any form of exercise, really! Cardiovascular exercise helps to suppress the appetite for most people. Just don’t buy into that little voice when you’re done telling you you deserve an extra piece of pie.
2. Get all the food set up on the counter for serving, not the table. It is easier to think twice about an extra serving when the food is out of easy reach.
3. Start your meal with a full glass of water. Water suppresses the appetite and increases satiety. Better yet, try this at every meal!
4. Dawdle. Take small bites. Take your time and enjoy each and every morsel. Most Americans chew 5-6 times a bite when it should be 15! Put your fork down between bites and focus on the conversation, and your friends and family around you more than the food.
5. Stay the course. One hard day doesn’t minimize the positive effects of your previous week’s efforts. Get right back on track Friday… why not pack a lunch with fresh veggies before you head out to shop?! No need to add one more line to wait in Friday if you can skip the drive-thru.